This charge follows months of drama and dozens of accusations. The plaintiff, Andrea Constand, is said to be willing to testify and so are other alleged victims.
The decision by Pennsylvania prosecutors to file criminal charges against Cosby came just days before that state's statute of limitations for bringing charges was about to expire. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in jail.
Cosby stumbled a bit as he walked into the courthouse outside Philadelphia, symbolic of the iconic comedian's fall from grace. He was arraigned on a felony charge involving a woman who says he drugged, then raped her in 2004. Dozens claim similar experiences.
Donna Motsinger worked at a Sausalito restaurant in 1971 and says was raped by Cosby during a night out. On Wednesday she told ABC7 News, "This is a good day for all the women."
VIDEO: Prosecutor announces charges against Bill Cosby in 2004 sexual assault case
That echoes what she said when we first talked to her about the case. She said, "All I want is to say that I support these women, I was one of them."
The alleged victims include a former ABC7 employee. Janice Baker Kinney is one of 29 women represented by attorney Gloria Allred, and made her accusation earlier this year.
On April 23, Kinney said, "I was sexually assaulted by him in May of 1982."
KGO Radio's Brian Copeland knows both Cosby and Baker Kinney. He worked closely with her here at ABC7.
"Do I think he' guilty? Yes, I do," Copeland said. "There's no way Janice is making this up."
VIDEO: Bill Cosby arraigned on sexual assault charge
And as a comedian himself, Copeland opened for Cosby several times during his Bay Area performances.
Now the superstar's legacy is forever tarnished.
"When you mention Bill Cosby, they aren't going to think about he broke down racial barriers, how he was the first African American on television in a dramatic role, to win an Emmy for it... all they're going to think of is rapist... rapist," said Copeland.
Cosby's attorney says the comedian will be exonerated, but on Wednesday Allred said many of her clients are willing to testify on Constand's behalf.
"Seeing him criminally charged and having to face trial is the best Christmas present they have ever received," Allred said.
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento